What is tribology and lubrication?
Friction between moving parts in vehicles and industry accounts for 23% of global energy consumption. The study of this friction is called “tribology” and we fight friction with lubricants. Better lubricants can provide immense improvements to energy savings, sustainability, and the global carbon footprint.
Lubricants and greases are made of petroleum, synthetic, or biobased oils which are combined in a formula with additives to create a finished product for use in industry. Better additives enable better lubricants. We also develop unique additives to support an emerging “Environmentally Acceptable Lubricant” market which is using re-refined, biodegradable, and biobased to accelerate the push toward more sustainable lubricants for industry.
Functional Products seeks to empower every customer in the lubricant and grease market with the latest additive technologies and education. We use polymer technology to provide renowned products and formulation services to everyone: from family-owned small businesses to Fortune 100 multinational firms.
Functional Products Inc. is committed to providing our customers with quality products and services that meet or exceed their expectations through use of continual improvement.
Together with our customers, we create Innovative Chemistry for Lubricants.
Functional Products provides a wide range of different additives to suit the different needs of various industries and producers.
Tackifiers are special rheology modifiers for lubricants and greases which act to keep the fluid on high speed moving parts, reduce drippage, and prevent hazardous mist formation. The classic example is tacky chain saw oil.
- Viscosity Modifiers
Viscosity modifiers are used to tune the viscosity of oil for light or heavy duty applications (0W-20 versus 15W-40 engine oils, for example) based on the lubricated equipment’s manufacturer recommendations. We offer many different types of viscosity modifiers to account for the oil drain interval, application’s intensity, and low temperature pumpability.
- Industrial Lubricant Additives
Industrial additive “packages” (useful combinations of additives which perform together in synergy) convert simple petroleum oil into a fully functional lubricant capable of meeting stringent industry standards for wear protection, corrosion prevention, and service life. Gear oils and hydraulic fluids contain some similar components, but the specific kind and level of those components can greatly differ.
- Grease Additives
Greases are specialized form of lubricant which stays in place and seals vital components like bearings. Different grease types have their strengths and weaknesses – the right additive can enhance those attributes. “Grease polymers” add that tacky quality and high water resistance that end users rely on.
- Biobased and Biodegradable Additives
Specialty biobased and biodegradable lubricants are called ‘eco-friendly’ or ‘environmentally acceptable’ and are required for use in boats or construction/mining in sensitive areas. We develop innovation chemistry by recreating the major types of additive used in petroleum but for use with unique eco-friendly fluids.
- Food Machinery Lubricant Additives (NSF HX-1 / H1)
Lubrication for food processing equipment requires special additives which have been carefully evaluated for toxicity in the event the lubricant is exposed to food. The list of acceptable additives is short and it can be a challenge to meet certain performance requirements. We are experts at building and registering unique NSF listed additives so you can get the additives you need with the safety required.
Custom products are our specialty. Our technical staff is available to provide advice and formulate products for your specific application. Functional Products operates a blending facility located in Macedonia, Ohio, with the capacity to meet your current and future needs. We have the expertise to ship worldwide through our network of distributors located in North America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
Functional Products Inc. member affiliations:
- STLE – Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers
- NLGI – National Lubricating Grease Institute
- ILMA – Independent Lubricant Manufacturers Association
- See an example of the technical content we put out for a typical conference season here: 2021 Conference Re-Cap
- Functional Products has received Best Paper Awards from NLGI, the NLGI India Chapter, and ELGI (European Lubricants and Grease Institute).
- Functional Products researchers contribute to the following industry magazines as writers, reviewers, and technical editors:
- Functional Products researchers educate by:
- Authoring technical papers for industry magazines
- Instructing courses at industry conferences (NLGI Advanced Grease Course)
- Presenting technical work at industry conferences (STLE, NLGI)
- Editing relevant chapters of industry textbooks (Leslie Rudnick’s Lubricant Additives, and the NLGI Lubricating Grease Guide)